Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

I have a tenancy agreement with a private landlord that started

I have a tenancy agreement with a private landlord that started on 13th March 2010 until 12th June 2011, the rent is £4k monthly. It was extended from 12th June 2012 until 11th June 2013 and then again from 12th June 2013 until 11th June 2014. The landlord is a house and the landlord does not live with us. The deposit is £7,200. What kind of tenancy do I have, and how should the landlord have protected the deposit if at all?

Thank you for your question and welcome.

The criteria for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy are contained in the Housing Act 1988. An AST must be:
1. Let to a private individual;
2. For a term of no longer than 3 years;
3. Where the property is your principal residence;
4. The property is used as a private dwelling.

From what you have described this sounds like an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

Under an AST the landlord is obliged to put the deposit in a secure bond scheme. Failure to do so within 30 days and they could be liable to pay you up to 3 times the value of your deposit in damages. See the Housing Act 2004 s.213.

I look forward you hearing from you.

AJ