How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

There is a rodent issue in my flat. It was an issue before

This answer was rated:

There is a rodent issue in my flat. It was an issue before I moved in, but I wasn't made aware of it. Can I withhold my rent or even move out, thus breaking the tenancy agreement?

The landlord had a pest control company come over, but they only left a couple of bait traps and still I saw another mouse in my room. The landlord took more than a month to respond to my plea to sort out the issue.

Surely I cannot be expected to live in such an unsanitary environment. And PS it is nothing to do with me leaving food around the flat. Thanks.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Have you reported this to the council please?
Customer: No.
Customer: The landlord said the council is coming soon, but I am suspicious of such a vague statement.
Alex Watts : Ok. You should get a number of quotes for getting the work done and this forms your loss
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: Well,hold,on please.
Customer: What about withholding my rent and even ending the tenancy?
Alex Watts : You can't with hold rent, you could be evicted.
Alex Watts : You can only end the tenancy if it is a significant breach. You need to allow for it to be rectified first and if not fixed could then move out.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you