How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Neighbours garden shed 4 inches from my outhouse causing damp

This answer was rated:

Neighbours garden shed 4 inches from my outhouse causing damp problems from run off from hisroof.Cupboardsin my outhouse rotten from damp.

Alex Hughes :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Alex Hughes :

What exactly would you like to knpw from me?

Alex Hughes :

Hi - no pointing rating the service until we've finished the discussion!

Alex Hughes :

The qiestion I asked is: what exactly do you wish to know? You've presented some facts but no question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can i take my neighbor to court if he fails tomove or adapt his shed to stop water pouring off his shed roof onto my outhouse wall causing damp problems inside my outhouse I do not want to take this action.Itwould be a last resort

Yes you can.

If your neighbour's act or ommission is causing damage to your property then you can claim damages for nuisance. You can make a claim in the County Court for your losses and expenses.

It may also be worthwhile making a complaint to the council if the damp is hazardous to health. A complaint should be made as a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Hope this helps.

Alice H and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you