How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi, Ive rented a small studio flat in a house which has been

Customer Question

Hi, I've rented a small studio flat in a house which has been converted into quite a few studio flats. I have no contract with the landlord and it came to light after inspection by local council that the studios are being let out illegally and have not been approved/certified. I've been asked to move out by the landlord. Do I have to move out or do I have any rights to stay till I find suitable accomodation? Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

You may refuse to move out until you find suitable accomodation as your landlord may only evict you using proper procedure by going through the courts.

It is your landlord's problem that they let out the property without being properly licensed, not yours.

Having said that, you do not want to live in an illegal property any longer than you have to and you should secure alternative accomodation as soon as possible and move out for your own benefit.

Hope this helps