How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

Searches when buying a property Who can order them? (can anyone

This answer was rated:

Searches when buying a property
Who can order them? (can anyone or just a lawyer) ,
Are they available online ?
What is fastest and how long does it take to get them
Are the searches the time constraint in the due diligence of solicitor in the conveyancing process?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Just to clarify, are you referring to a land registry search?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

AM referring to all searches which might hold / cause a buying solicitor to have to wait / save time

i believe land registry searches are instant online so these probably wont be a time constraint.

think of the following - assuming one would lik to exchange within say 24 hours (or asap) - which are the searches or other obstacles which can delay the process?



Searches can be ordered by anyone.

The speed with which they arrive back comes back from the local authority. Order them using forms LLC1 and CON29

If you know what you are looking for you can actually visit the local authority and do the research yourself.

Alternatively, you may want to use an outside agency who tend to be quicker than the local authority and cheaper and do it on a fixed fee in many cases.

Here is one such search agency

other searches which you may want to consider depending on where in the country you live are:

china clay
commons registration
chancel repair and
exceptionally railway which shows tunnels under the land

some searches are done online and others not so.

You should not be waiting more than a couple of weeks and if you use an outside agency, they can usually be done in days.

It is also possible to buy insurance if exchange is needed before the searches are back.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



A couple of private agencies i tried advised they only carry out searches for solicitors, would you be aware of a company which carries these out for a private individual?

Try this company

and tell them that you will pay upfront for the service and that you got the name from this website.

As you appreciate, being solicitors we don't know who will deal directly and who will not.

There is no legal reason why they cannot deal directly.
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile