How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi Just ask,My mother has recently passed away and I have

This answer was rated:

Have been asked to fill out a 'Tenants notice to quit' on behalf of my mother, first before any possible succession can take place.


Hi Just ask,

My mother has recently passed away and I have informed the housing association that manages where she lives (Wandsworth) that I would like them to grant my right to succeed my mothers council flat. However, they have asked me to fill out a 'Tenants notice to quit' on behalf of my mother, first before any possible succession can take place. Is it advisable to do as they ask, or ask to succeed first? Best Michael

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Has there been any previous succession?


My apologies for my delay! I had a plane to catch! No there has been no previous succession.

Alex Watts : Have they put in writing that you can still succeed?

No but it does state that successions are possible (once) in the terms and conditions booklet!

Alex Watts : Yes. In the booklet does it say you have to give notice before you can succeed.

No it doesn't. However, I have also asked for a copy of my mothers origional tenancy agreement as well as a copy of her housing association agreement so I can check all info. But the HA don't want to be forth coming and state that they are simply lost. (I have written permission to handle my mothers affairs)


in the end I simply formally wrote to them stating that my mother has passed away and sent along one of her death certificates and asked to formally evoke my right to succeed. I also again asked to see her tenancy documents too. Am now awaiting their reply! I didn't however...


Send along the 'Notice to Quit' form that they originally asked for...!


Can you share any advice about the way I am going about this? ;) M

Alex Watts : Have they put in writing that would be entitled to succession if you give notice?
Customer: No... Shall I ask if they persist?
Alex Watts : Yes.
Alex Watts : accept if they put it in writing.
Alex Watts : If they refuse then don't sign it.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.


Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you