How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

No-one has yet answered my question! I asked whether a landlord

Customer Question

No-one has yet answered my question! I asked whether a landlord of a SHT
Can bring a tenancy to an end before the term expiry by giving notice that the property is required for a member of his family.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

I am afraid not unless the tenant has breached a term of the tenancy agreement which is not applicable here.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I am hoping to take a tenancy for five years. Someone has suggested that after the term expires of the SHT the landlord will have difficulty obtaining VP. I really cannot understand why,or is this true by the Housing Act? Not my intention,but landlord is not keen to proceed otherwise. Thanks

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Your landlord would need to get a court order for possession if you do not move out after the termination notice has expire and the court process can take a few months.

Hope this clarifies
Expert:  Lara-cssm replied 3 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at [email protected] and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.

Thank you, The JustAnswer Customer Support Team.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I am a lawyer with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

Can a landlord bring an assured shorthold tenancy to an end within the fixed term because he wants a member of his family to move in? No he can not.

During a fixed-term your landlord must have a reason to evict you. The reason might be because:

you have rent arrears
you are constantly or regularly late with the rent
you have broken the terms of your tenancy such as by subletting when you are not allowed to
you have allowed the condition of the property to get worse
you have caused nuisance or annoyance
your landlord's mortgage lender is repossessing the property
the property is being redeveloped.
The court will not evict you unless it is satisfied that the reason exists. In some cases the court must also consider whether it is reasonable for you to be evicted.

Your landlord can give you two months' notice without having a reason, but the notice should not run out before the end of the fixed term. Speak to an adviser if this happens – use our directory to find help in your local area.

I hope this answers your question but if you need more help just ask.