How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71137
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

i am a landlord , at present i have a difficult tenant. I have

This answer was rated:

i am a landlord , at present i have a difficult tenant. I have given her a notice to quit and thr tenancy agreement states i can gain access to the property within 24 hours.I believe the tenant is damaging the property and she is now refusing me entry . If i put hthe key in the door and check the property out . is it illegal and is it an arrestable offence ?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I presume you don't have a possession order?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no i have just given her her notice to quit about one month ago.


Obviously you cannot evict her without committing a criminal offence unless you get a court order.

However, you are entitled to inspect. You do need to give her reasonable notice and I would suggest 48 hours actually rather than 24. If its not a convenient time then you do need to make alternative appointments with her. However, in the end, you can gain access lawfully whether she likes it or not.

Even if you do gain entry without her agreement that may amount to trespass or even harassment but its not a criminal offence unless, of course, she tries to argue that while you were there you tried to evict which is an allegation to which you would be vulnerable.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for the answer ,if she refuses me entry and i do enter the property. is it an arrestable offence?

No, but it is a civil wrong potentially.

Also, she will make allegations that you are trying to evict her and that is an arrestable offence.

Do not expose yourself to the risk. Some prosecution witnesses do lie sometimes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

finally, if refused entry could i gain access and check the property by getting in touch with the police

No. Its a civil matter. The police will not become involved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

could i use this instance,in a section 21 to quicken eviction?

No, but you could serve a S8 notice in reliance on grounds 13 or 15 as is appropriate on the basis that damage is being caused either to the property or the furniture. You will have to have evidence of that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

could i pass on costs of damage to the tenant along with court costs?

You could deduct it from the deposit.

If that is not sufficient then you would have to sue at the small claims court.
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you