How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

We have a bad damp issue on one of the ceilings in our property which

This answer was rated:

We have a bad damp issue on one of the ceilings in our property
which appears to be coming from the upstairs flat. I went to speak
to my neighbor, and he confirmed there was a leaking pipe in that
room which would be causing the issue. He is going to speak to his
landlord to get it remedied.

We had a similar issue with the bathroom recently and the landlord
took no action, to the point we had to get the council involved
who sent a plumber round to fix the problem. This took a number of
months to sort out, and has meant we have had to repaint the
bathroom a number of times.

I'm worried that the same will happen again and the landlord of
the upstairs property will not take any actions and we'll
continue to get damp, and have to repair the damage on our property.

The tenants refuse to give us the landlords details, and we have
even checked the land registry but his details are not on there.
Is there anyway of being able to get his details? And is there
anything I can do to ensure the landlord takes action and fix
his property?
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is there a letting agent?

What address is there for the Landlord at Land Registry?

Why is the tenant refusing to give LLs address
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I own the property, and upstairs is rented by the landlord to tenants


The tenants refuse to give out the LLs details as he has asked them to do this


We can't find any details on the registry


I assume that there is no letting agent and the landlord lets the property straight to the tenant.

The landlord's details must be on the leasehold title at the land registry. It may be the address of the property which is not an uncommon thing for landlords to do but that works in your favour. You need to get the leasehold official copies of title register from here which costs £3.!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

Once you have the landlords name and address, even if it is this property, you can then serve legal proceedings if needed.

If the leakage is caused by something that the tenant has done you have a cause of action against the tenant.

If it is some kind of lack of repair or maintenance by the landlord, you have an action against the landlord.

If you have house insurance, check to see if you have legal expenses cover that would pay for the cost of any litigation.

You are entitled to recover the cost of putting right whatever it is that goes wrong and give each time you hit a landlord in the pocket for getting someone in to decorate the property and to put it right, he will soon make sure that the problem does not happen again.

If in spite of that, he ignores things and you continue to have the problem is, you have a claim against a landlord in common-law nuisance.

If the landlord is a leaseholder and not the freeholder you also have a claim against the freeholder for allowing this to happen and allowing the landlord to allow a nuisance to be caused to other tenants.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your answer


What is the best way to recover the cost of any decorators etc each time we have to do this, due to an issue being caused by the upstairs flat?


Do we just contact the landlord and tell him, write to him etc?

Put everything in writing to the landlord and send a copy to the tenant and as the tenant to forward it.

Include a copy of the receipted bill for the decoration work.

If the landlord does not pay, issue small claims court proceedings which you can do quite easily here
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you