How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

my neighbour has instructed a tree company cut back our leylandii

Customer Question

my neighbour has instructed a tree company cut back our leylandii hedge. THEY HAVE IN FACT CUT out several of the middle sections and now we can see through a lot of the hedge which over the years we have paid hundreds of pounds to have maintained.The workeers do ot seem to have the correct saftely equipmment and I doubt in fact if they are qualified by their lack of care. They are still working in my nieghbours garden and we had agreed initailly to pay half the quote of £500 as we were told it was the top of the hedge to be trimmed by 3 feet appprox all the way along which hasn't happened.i now feel reluctant to pay anything for the work done for damage to our trees.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Did they cut it overhanging or your side please?
JACUSTOMER-euejthb4- :

the centre of the trees are on my side and they cut theese back klkby about a third

Alex Watts : Ok.this is criminal damage.
Alex Watts : You should report it to the police.
Alex Watts : The neighbour can't cut anything that is on your side.
Alex Watts : They can cut anything overhanging his side.
Alex Watts : But this is criminal damage so should be reported to the police.
Alex Watts : The police can prosecute and take action.
Alex Watts : You could take it to the county court, but you would need to usually pay a solicitor for that.
Alex Watts : But report it to the police and see what they do.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: