How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Can I get a copy of a previous legal charge registered at the

This answer was rated:

Can I get a copy of a previous legal charge registered at the land registry after it has been removed and the debt discharged?

Thanks for your question.

I very much doubt it. The land registry keep copies of the charges whilst they are registered against the title for a given property.

When they receive a form of discharge for the charge they will remove the charge for on the register and most probably dematerialise the charge, which means deleting it.

There is no harm in asking, I suppose but I would not expect you to be able to get it. You would therefore be left with contacting the original chargor or chargee of the charge to get a copy.

Kind regards

Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you