How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi I wish to give my Landlord notice of leaving his property.

This answer was rated:

Hi I wish to give my Landlord notice of leaving his property. The original tenancy agreement expired after 6months and so for 5 years I have just dealt with any issues through him. I pay one months rent in advance on the 23rd of each month. If I give notice now should I pay rent for the next full month from 23rd May? or do I just have to pay rent up to the day I leave?


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

If the tenancy has expired and it is a residential tenancy then it is now a statutory periodic tenancy. This means that you must serve one months notice in writing on the landlord with such notice to expire at the end of a rent period.

You would have to pay rent right up until the notice expires and you leave the property.

You will see that the position is confirmed here:-

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you