How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now


Customer Question

My landlord has changed the lock on my business because I stopped paying rent, I asked several times for him to fix faults which he never did. I went to work this morning to find the locks changed with all my belongs still inside. The landlord has gave me no notice he intended to do this, and is now saying he is going to sell all of my belongings Really need help with what to do next

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Do you have a signed lease please?
JACUSTOMER-09xx4c9s- : Yes I have a 5 year fixed term lease
Alex Watts : I assume the lease says you are not to set off or deduct any payment.
Alex Watts : Therefore you have broken the lease by not paying and the landlord is entitled to evict.
Alex Watts : What you need to do is apply to the court for relief.
Alex Watts : That is you are asking the court that you be allowed to return.
Alex Watts : Really you should have kept paying and taken the landlord to court for not fixing things.
Alex Watts : Therefore apply to the court for relief and then sue the landlord for breach for not fixing
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: