How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

The council have agreed to sell my mother and I our council

This answer was rated:

The council have agreed to sell my mother and I our council flat, will I be able to have a mortgage on my own.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Have you asked the lender about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have and they said it was down to the solicitors.


There is no legal reason why there cannot just be one of you on the mortgage provided the lender will agree for the deeds to be in joint names but for the mortgage to be in your sole name. The deeds will have to be in joint names.

Provided therefore that the lender is willing to do that, the solicitor will do that for you.

Has the solicitor raised some kind of issue or problem with that?

Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have not spoken to a solicitor other than your goodself, it was the Building Society that will give me a mortgage that said I must seek legal advice on this matter.

There should be no problem with this. You will need a solicitor in any event to deal with the purchase paperwork and the lenders paperwork and the solicitor will sort this out for you.

All the best.