How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

Hello, A tenant has given early notice to quit as they have

This answer was rated:


A tenant has given early notice to quit as they have been given a council house. They have not given the required notice.

They have said that they are taking all the carpets with them "as they paid for them" after damage by a tradesman they employed.

As the property was let, with carpets in very good condition, what are the landlords rights in this situation?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Are you asking if they can take the carpet with them please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, basically that is what they have said, and there is no negotiation.



They cannot just remove something like a carpet. That is something that has become affixed to the house. If they were stupid enough to do improvements upon a property that wasn't theirs then that is their fault.

If they do remove the carpets then they will be liable for the cost of replacing your old carpets. Obviously they cannot replace your old carpets because they will have been disposed of but they are liable for a proportionate price bearing in mind that your carpets had sustained some use so the recommended retail price will not be available.

But you would get the cost of fitting etc.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile