How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

Good afternoon, My next door neighbor has cut down my Golden

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon,

My next door neighbor has cut down my Golden Plum tree in front garden - it now looks like dying flowers in a vase falling over over sides - took center of tree out - saw them doing so on return home with wife - no reason given or consent asked. No problem in 5 years before this - tree pruned by me each year always have had free excess to drive.

Thrown old fence over into my garden, demolishing my wife's plants, again with consent or permission - not seen doing so, but evidence is now on garden.

Did not see him doing this just told when in garden, I have every right to do so without permission - both counts 'committed' last two weeks without any contact by same.

Help please!

Eddy (Pensioner 70 years old)
Hello. What would you like to achieve here, as I suppose the damage is done. Would you like to know what you can do in reaction, and /or what you can do to avoid further problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Wingrovebuyer.


Thanks for responding,


As you say the damage is done,


What can I now do in reaction against these neighbors legally please?


Thank you



Customer: replied 3 years ago.



I thought I had just replied, but just in case I shall repeat what I had sent just now.


Yes, you are correct the damage is done, but what can I do as a reaction legally for this damage.


Kind regards



Hi Eddy. Welll one option is to report the matter to the police. What the neighbour has done is technically criminal damage. You could also demand that they provide and plant a new plum tree. However, you have to live next door to these people, so that might not be an option. As a compromise, you could write to thd neighbour outlining your concerns about what they've done, and ask them to consult you / ask your permission before doing anything else on your property or with the boundary. If they do more work without permission, you would have to warn them and if they didn't stop, you could apply to court for an injunct ion.
wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you