How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

Hi, We own a house in Cambridgeshire. The house has a separate

Customer Question


We own a house in Cambridgeshire. The house has a separate detached annexe which has its own entrance (kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedroom), own separate garden, own electricity supply/meter and is council banded with its own council tax payable. There is a possibility that it currently shares the water meter with the main house. Distance between the two properties is approx 2m.

If we have works done to give the annexe its own water meter is there a way that we can separate the deeds and sell the annexe as a separate house retaining the main house as our home?


Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

As long as there are no planning restrictions or other regulations preventing you from doing this then there is no general reason why you cannot subdivide your property and sell the annex as a separate property indeed a great many people have made a good deal of money doing just that. I would suggest you contact a local conveyancing solicitor to check if there are any local restrictions preventing this plan, but as a general statement of law you can subdivide and sell in the way envisaged.