How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

About 20 years ago I planted a conifer hedge between me and

This answer was rated:

About 20 years ago I planted a conifer hedge between me and my neighbour. I now would like to replace this with a neat wooden fence giving them the best side. The fence would be about 5foot high to give them privicy on their side. Can I do this.

wingrovebuyer :

Hello. Provided the boundary hedge is yours and not on a party boundary, you can remove it and replace it with a fence. You might need to check your deeds to see if the boundary is a party boundary.


I am the one that put the hedge in first, but what is a party boundary ?

wingrovebuyer :

It is a boundary feature which is jointly owned by the neighbours. I doubt this arises here, so by all means, remove the hedge and put in your fence. Provided it is entirely on your side, your neighbour can't complain. Best, WB

wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you