How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 35574
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Does the surviving person of a couple, if one of them dies,

Customer Question

Does the surviving person of a couple, if one of them dies, have a right or part right to the house they lived in?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 4 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is Tony and I can assist you with your question.

tdlawyer :

If the property is held as joint tenants, then yes, the deceased person's interest passes automatically on death to the other owner(s).

tdlawyer :

If held as tenants in common, then their interest passes with their will or the intestacy laws if no will exists.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who actually owns the property and are they married to each other?