How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, I need some advice in regards XXXXX XXXXX friend. In short,

Customer Question

I need some advice in regards XXXXX XXXXX friend. In short, I would like to find out what sort of housing is she entitled to, if any, from her local London authority.

She's 23 years old with a two month old baby. She works but currently on maternity leave until October. Her hours are shift and rota based, but roughly she earns between £12k to 15k per annum.

Up till few days ago she, her baby and her husband were staying in a one bedroom property with her brother-in-law, because their combined income they were finding it difficult to afford rent in London. This arrangement was working fine for them specially as the brother-in-law wasn't around a lot.

Some disagreement happened between the couple in terms of moving from London (and I believe there was an issue of domestic violence not too long ago but the case was dropped). The husband now works in another city and only returns on weekends to see his daughter.

The problem now is that the brother asked my friend to move out. Is she entitled to any help from her local authority? As I said, she works but it's totally unrealistic for her to rent in London and she has no where else to stay and I can't have her long than this as I got other committments.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Has she spoken to her local Housing Office?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

No, she is very despondent (possibly depressed) and doesn't think she's will get any help from her LA considering that she works, albeit, not earning much to cover rent in the area.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Her attitude is partly down to past dealings with the LA who at the time told her that she didn't qualify for any housing assistance when she tried to apply for housing.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
When was that?
Had she applied for housing or for Housing Benefit to help pay the rent?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


This was back in November when she didn't have a child then. She called the housing department to ask what helped she qualified for and they asked her few questions over the phone like if she was in the Armed Forces, whether she had any disabilities or children etc. At the end they told her that they can't help her and advised her to look forrent in the private sector if she wanted her own place.She wasn't incurring any rent at that time because she was staying with the brother-in-law.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Since you friend now has a baby she has become a priority in terms of housing and the Local Authority will have to accommodate her.
HOWEVER it is almost certain that she will be placed in Bed and Breakfast or a Hostel to start with.
However it is worth her speaking to the LA who can confirm her eligibility for Housing Benefit which will enable her to consider private rental.
More details here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details