How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10743
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Is it possible for only one person to get a mortgage for a

This answer was rated:

Is it possible for only one person to get a mortgage for a joint ownership?


Looking to buy a property under Right To Buy scheme from Housing Association. Mom is
the main tenant - retired pensioner.

Landlord won't allow the property to be purchased in my name only, must be purchased jointly.

If we purchase jointly, does the mortgage have to be joint? Or can I get a mortgage alone but still purchase jointly?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Under the Right to Buy scheme, all Tenants must join in and purchase, so the H Assoc are correct.

Likewise, all Banks/B Societies will insist that both purchasers are on the Mortgage. The only exception to this is HSBC, who do sometimes allow a Mortgage to be taken out in the name of 1 party alone. I can't of course guarantee they would allow such an application in your case, but you can always ask!

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks Al. I appreciate your concise reply, very helpful.
Thanks Niraj!