How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I employed a plumber on the basis of his estimate being £1600

Customer Question

I employed a plumber on the basis of his estimate being £1600 to fix a leak at my property. I agreed to his estimate and as the work got underway he advised more work was required and provided an additional estimate bringing the total estimates (2) to £3000. No other estimates we're provided. His final bill was £9000. I refused to pay the additional £6k and was taken to court/lost (I represented myself). This happened within the past 18months. At the hearing the plumber provided his evidence at the hearing despite the courts instructions to provide it before the hearing (I complied). Despite this the judge allowed his evidence which included fabricated time sheets. Whilst I lost the case, can I do anything to recover the uplift I've paid or do I need to write it off?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

Was there any issue with the quality of the work?

As you are a consumer this individual does have an obligation to trade openly and fairly with you. Ignoring quotes and falsifying time sheets is fairly serious and therefore the only way of recovering some money is to:
1. Appeal it - this is likely to cost significant time and money and you will need to prove the time sheets are falsified in order to commence an appeal;

2. Make a complaint to Trading Standards - this will likely we slow but they will have the power to give you financial compensation.

I would normally suggest reporting it to the police, but this is probably not worth while as proving fraud is notoriously difficult without solid evidence.

Unfortunately the procedural timings missed by the claimant in court are not sufficient to have claim turned in your favour.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards