How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10780
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

my husband was the sole owner of our house he has diedand the

This answer was rated:

my husband was the sole owner of our house he has diedand the house has now passed to me how do i change the deeds to my name
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Firstly, you will need to obtain a Grant of Representation (this is called "Probate" where your Husband left a Will and "Letters of Administration" if he did not leave a Will).
Probate is applied for by the Executor named in his Will and Letters of Administration would be applied for by you as his next of kin. Either way, the application is made to your local Probate Registry and you can ask a local Solicitor to do this for you or you can do it yourself, by attending a short interview and completing an application form with the Probate Registry.

Once the Grant has been obtained, you will need to instruct a local Solicitor to prepare the Land Registry Assent document which is signed by the person who has obtained the Grant. This Form then needs to be registered at the Land Registry to enable the Deeds to be transferred into your name.

Most law firms are able to deal with obtaining the Grant and dealing with the Land Registry for you if you would like a Solicitor to deal with all the paperwork. They are likely to charge you £300 to obtain the Grant and approx. £250 plus VAT to deal with the Land Registry.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards

Aston Lawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information however that much I already knew. Grant of Probate has bee acquired. And I have sent to the land registry to register the property for the first time. The latter has been returned with a help form part of which explains that in the event of death a new claim cannot be made.


My question is apart from the obvious track of going to a solicitor; how can I change the deeds?

Hi Yvonne,

If the Deeds are currently unregistered, then you need to apply to the Land Registry using form FR1. You will have to include all the relevant Conveyances/Deeds relating to the property together with the Probate and Assent document.
To be honest, unless you are familiar with the above, you are best to get a Solicitor to register everything for you.

Kind Regards