How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

A house next to a local shop has erected a sign forbidding

This answer was rated:

A house next to a local shop has erected a sign forbidding parking across their drive and threatening to tow any car away that is parked across their drive. Is this legal?

Alex Hughes :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.

Alex Hughes :

Are you asking if the sign is legal or the towing away?


Both !

Alice H and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would appreciate an answer not just another question.

Good Morning

This is a very interesting question!

It is unlawful to block someone's drive; its a contravention of the Highway Code and the Road Traffic Acts. Most councils have a policy in place to remove any obstructions especially if there is a dropped kerb to the driveway. So putting up a sign asking that a driveway is not blocked is not wrong.

A private person has no right to clamp or tow-away a car parked on private land. A wheel-clamping company has no right to do this on a public road either. BUT if the car is blocking a driveway unlawfully (as mentioned above) then the local council usually has a procedure in place to remove the offending vehicle.

Therefore, it is not wrong or illegal to put up a notice in the manner you've described to stop offending vehicles blocking a driveway.

Does this answer your question? Can I assist further?