How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Tricky situation - we have a tenant who has served notice to

Customer Question

Tricky situation - we have a tenant who has served notice to end his tenancy agreement, which we have accepted. The reason being he and his partner are splitting up. The notice will end on the 30th July and he will hand over the keys. However his partner who has beein living with hin (note sure if wife or girlfriend) is refusing to leave. The tenancy agreement is under his name only.

Where do we stand on this situation and what are the next steps to get this lady out the property?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : The lady would in effect be squatting. You would need to serve a notice requiring her to leave.
Alex Watts : You should do this now.
Alex Watts : If she refuses then come the end of the expiry if the notice you need a possession order.
Alex Watts : You can't remove her without a possession order.
Alex Watts : You could do this by issuing a claim online at
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : The court will list the matter for a possession hearing.
Alex Watts : Once you have possession she will have to leave. If she refuses then bailiffs can evict her.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-y2y6eu28- :

What notice do we need - is this section 21?

Alex Watts : You can serve that or just a notice asking to leave.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
JACUSTOMER-y2y6eu28- :

is there a time frame i am legally obliged to give the squatter?

Alex Watts : Normally 28 days. Does that help?