How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

We moved into a rented house on the 18th April 2014 and was

This answer was rated:

We moved into a rented house on the 18th April 2014 and was told there was no handle on the kitchen door but one had been ordered but did not fit. We are still being told by the letting agents that they cannot source a door handle. I had a fire check carried out on the house who told me that the kitchen door not being able to close was a fire risk.
Also, with weeks of moving in, the fence was bowing quite badly onto the garden. We raised this issue to be told that the letting agents had contacted the landlord who claims it is not their fence (the fence is on the side of the wasteland so must belong to this house.
A few days ago, whilst sorting out the garden furniture on the decking area, my foot went through a rotten piece of decking causing injury to my ankle and cuts to my arm where I fell against the back fence. I asked a carpenter to replace the offending plank but when he removed it he found that the whole of the decking and the joists were completely rotten. I tried to contact the Assistant Lettings Manager who did not return my call so due to the dangerous condition of the decking we have asked the carpenter to replace the decking. On finally getting hold of the Assistant Lettings Manager, we have been advised that due to carrying out the work ourselves, we are responsible for the payment.
I would appreciate your comments.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : What is the cost of the work please?

Fence £100


Decking £450


Door Handle £50

Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : you could actually claim for personal injury as well against the landlord for breach of the Occupiers Liability Act
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you