How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

Good evening, I am the owner of a flat in a block of flats.

This answer was rated:

Good evening, I am the owner of a flat in a block of flats. The communal (mains) waterpipe running through all flats had a leak (within boundaries of my flat). Whose responsibility is the repair of damage done to the flat underneath? I assume this would be the buildings insurance of the managing agent? To be slightly more precise, the fault was caused by the stopcock. Does that change anything with liability?

tdlawyer :

Hello, and welcome to the website. My name is ***** ***** I should be able to assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Was the stopcock within your flat?


Hello, yes it was.

tdlawyer :

Okay. It is likely to be your responsibility to maintain the stopcock, as it is in your premises. So if the problem occurred through want of maintenance of the stopcock, then you are likely to be liable for the damage that is sustained as a consequence, including damage to neighbours flats.

tdlawyer :

It might give you have insurance against this anyway, either through the communal insurance policy or your own insurance policy over your particular flat.

tdlawyer :

There is a general rule of law there anybody who keep something on their land, which is not natural (and water pipes are not natural), and which later escapes and causes damage, will automatically be liable for that damage.

tdlawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you