How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

my neighbour has a huge oak tree in his front garden that overhangs

Customer Question

my neighbour has a huge oak tree in his front garden that overhangs my drive
he will not let any one on to his land so that they can cut the branches that overhang my drive- i cannot afford to have specials scaffolding erected so that the branches can be reaches from my side
the problem is my car is covered in sap every day,it cannot be wiped off and i cannot have the car washed every day
this tree is much higher than my house and is a big problem
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

You should get two tree surgeons or arborists to give you estimates to cut back the tree from your side of the boundary.

Send the estimates to your neighbour to say the overhanging tree is causing a nuisance and damage to your property.

Give him 14 days to either cut the tree back or give you the money to get the work done.

If he does not do anything you can either a) get the work done yourself and sue him for the money or b) sue him for trespass and nuisance. Either way this will be a County Court claim.