How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

How do I add my name to my husbands house deeds ? He doesnt

Customer Question

How do I add my name to my husbands house deeds ? He doesnt want to Is it my right being his wife ?There is a small mortagage left .
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

I’m afraid that if your husband does not want to be added to the title of the property then there is nothing that you can do to compel him, even though you are his wife. He would be required to sign the land registry transfer to add his name, so if he is not willing to sign this then his named cannot be added.

Additionally, if there is a mortgage then you would not be able to add his name without the lender’s consent. They have a first legal charge which prevents transfers of title in this way without their consent. Usually, this would mean that you would have to obtain a new mortgage offer in your joint names.

I am sorry.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would happen if we divorced ?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Well, you would have to see a solicitor as early as you can to give them detailed instructions on your finances and your marriage. They would then give you a view over what would be an achievable financial settlement of the matrimonial assets.

You would then obtain mediation with a view to coming to an agreement over the matrimonial assets and take it from there.

Kind regards,