How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi, I have signed a tenancy agreement for 9 months and no

This answer was rated:

I have signed a tenancy agreement for 9 months and no breakhtrough clause is mentioned in the contract for leaving the property before 9 months.
I have completed 6 months of tenecny and also provided 50 days advance notice that i will be vaccating the property but my comapany and landlord is forcing to stay us or to pay the rent upto 9 months.
As far as i know even if no brekathrough clause is mentioned i complete 6 months and provide sufficient advance notice i can leave the property as per Uk housing act.
Please provide your feedback
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Is it an assured shorthold tenancy that you have please?



Hi please can you repond to my query

Alex Watts : Yes what type of tenancy do you have, I assume its an assured shorthold?

yes it is an assured shorthold tenancy

Alex Watts : ok. It's bad news I am afraid.
Alex Watts : Under the Housing Act 6 months is a minimum term.
Alex Watts : It can be longer and indeed for years.

Yes i have completed 6 months\

Alex Watts : Therefore if you signed you for 9 months sadly you must stay there for the whole period.
Alex Watts : If not you would be in breach if contract.

but i have served the minimum contract

Alex Watts : This is a contract, both you and the landlord are bound for 9 months. An assured shorthold is simply for at least 6 months.
Alex Watts : Therefore sadly you are bound.
Alex Watts : You said that you signed up for 9 months?
Alex Watts : if you did you are bound to 9 monts
Alex Watts : Monyhs
Alex Watts : @ months @

yes the total contract is for 6 months



Alex Watts : There is not a min
Alex Watts : So

the total contract is for 9 months

Alex Watts : you signed for 9 months
Alex Watts : Yes you must stay for 9 months
Alex Watts : An AST must be for at least 6 months to be that type of tenancy.
Alex Watts : I think that may be where you are confused
Alex Watts : So you have several options
Alex Watts : 1) stay for the 9 months

yes what are the options please can you ellaborate

Alex Watts : 2) leave and pay for the remaining term
Alex Watts : 3) find a new tenant to replace you
Alex Watts : Those are the options
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

okay so there is no otion for the minimum term in this condition

Alex Watts : No. You have no break clause.
Alex Watts : I am sorry
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you?

there is not even the option of leaving the security deposit and leave the house



Alex Watts : Only if the landlord accepts this and releases uou
Alex Watts : @ you @
Alex Watts : Its all down to the landlord. He could make you stay for the 9 months.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else.

there is also a clause


Surrender of the tenancy by the tenant


Strictly with the landlord’s or his agents prior written consent and subject to certain conditions that may include the landlord’s reasonable costs associated with the re-letting of the premises, the tenant might be allowed to surrender or give up this tenancy before it could otherwise lawfully be ended.

Alex Watts : Yes. This is down to the landlord. If he refuses you can't move out early.

What could be the possible outcomes

Alex Watts : 1) you have to stay for 9 months

if i will not pay for remaining term?

Alex Watts : 2) you leave and have to pay for remaining term
Alex Watts : 3) the landlord lets you leave early.
Alex Watts : Does that help?

considering the 2nd option

Alex Watts : ok.

if we leave and pay for the rest of the term

Alex Watts : its a matter for you.

does security deposit will be included in that




or other then security deposit


we will have to pay extra rent?


are you there?

Alex Watts : You won't need to pay extra rent.
Alex Watts : It would just be for the 9 month term.

i think question is not clear to you


i want to say


considering your 2nd option


leave and pay the rent upto the reamining term


If we want to manage last month rent in security deposit?is it possible?

Alex Watts : Yes you can do that.
Alex Watts : That is possible.

so what is the best option in all the three


as per your advice?

Alex Watts : Try and negotiate out of it

and also what actions lanlord can take if we leave the property wihout paying the rent


consequences that we need to follow?

Alex Watts : He could pursue you in the county court

what could be the possible outcomes?


in the county court?

Alex Watts : yes possibly of you don't pay

yes that i want to know what county court will do


heavey penalty?

Alex Watts : It means you don't be able to get credit for 6 m
Alex Watts : years

Ok thanks




thanks for advice

Alex Watts : If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you please do say

Yes please

Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply

No right now i am happy with your replies


Thank you so much for patient listening


and providing feedback


i want to rate


i am not able to rate right now

Alex Watts : Great. If you could click on a happy face please
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you