How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

If an owner of a leasehold property (i.e. a holiday lodge)

This answer was rated:

If an owner of a leasehold property (i.e. a holiday lodge) has reason to believe that the Service Charge is not being spent appropriately and the Landlord refuses to provide access to the accounts/receipts, as required by law, what self-help options are available before resorting to a Tribunal.
The lease states that the Service Charge must be paid annually in advance.
What is the owner's rights if he/she suspects fraud and withholds payment?
The owner may get a solicitor to write a letter to the landlord asking for statements of account as required by law and point out the owner's legal rights should the landlord fail to provide the requested accounts.
In the event of suspected fraud, a report may be made to the police as fraud is a criminal offence under the Fraud Act 2006.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Residents Association has made numerous requests to the Landlord (site owner) to provide accounts/receipts, including via a solicitor, but have been ignored for the last service year to 30 June 2014 as well as for the previous year to 30 June 2013 and also the one before that.

The information I require is the legal position if lodge owners choose not to pay the service charge until the accounts/receipts for previous years have been provided.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unable to rate response until answer is provided.

Please see my response.

You may withhold payment of the service charge until they comply to put pressure on them to comply.
It is an offence under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 for a landlord not to provide a summary of service charge accounts within a period of 1 month of the demand or within 6 months of the end of the accounting year, which ever is later.
You may complain to the local authority as they have the power to enforce or you may enforce directly in court.
Hope this clarifies
UKSolicitorJA and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you