How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2457
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

Can a deed of assignment for the beneficial share transfer

Customer Question

Can a deed of assignment for the beneficial share transfer of a joint property be done from abroad (at the moment my husband and myself, who are joint tenants of a property in London, are not in the Uk but would like to proceed with this)? Otherwise I will be travelling back in less then a month. What kind of document/s do I need from him to be able to proceed in his absence (he will not be back for a year or so).
I would also like some advice about a deed of trust. Does this need to be done by a solicitor, or can we do it between ourselves with to witnesses. Is there a form one can download for this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question
My name is Clare
I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Could you explain what you wish to achieve and why?
Is there a mortgage on the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dea Claire, sorry not to answer befo, but I am abroad at the moment and it is not always possible to access internet.


My husband and myself own a joint tenancy (and a joint mortgage) and we would like to change it so that he assigns his beneficial share to me, so I own 100% but remain joint legal owners, as trustees for me. He is abroad at the moment (and I am with him) and would like to know how to best proceed. I will be coming back to England in less then a month, but he will stay abroad for work.


Could you please let me know what we - my husband and myself - need to do for him to assign his beneficial share to me? Can this be done form abroad?


Or – if this is not possible - meanwhile, we could sign a deed of trust, so that things can be clarified in writing while waiting for the deed of assignment to be put in place.


We would also like to make a power of attorney so that I can operate for both of us while he is abroad. Can we do this ourselves with two withnesses or do we need a solicitor?


Many thanks for getting back asap, so we can proceed to organise ourselves,




Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
May I ask why you wish to do this (this will confirm what type of deed you need)
There should be no problem in arranging this!