How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

URGENT QUERY - capital gain tax Hi, can you tell me how

This answer was rated:

URGENT QUERY - capital gain tax
Hi, can you tell me how long I would need to be living in a property before the law considers it as my main residence, and if I should sell it I won't be charge the capital gain tax please? Many thanks Terresa

If you have a second home, you may nominate which one is your main residence within 2 years of buying the second home.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have already bought it ages ago but due to work I'd like to make the other one my main residence. Just want to know if that's the case how long I'd need to live there before it can be considered my main residence and if sold no cap gain tax.

You were required to have notified HMRC within 2 years of you purchasing or acquiring a second property.

There is no minimum time in which you have to live there, if you use it as your main home, you will qualify for private residence relief.

Does this clarify?

UKSolicitorJA and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you