How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

housing development has encroached over my legal boundary.can

This answer was rated:

housing development has encroached over my legal boundary.can i sue neighbour and/or council.(they have allowed someone to build on my land).The council line is they don't get involved with boundary disputes unless the ownership cert is wrong.How do i work out a figure for compensation?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Can you prove it is your land please?


neighbour has offered cash.(admits problem) I am going to get a topographical and boundary survey of my plot.How do you want me to prove it is my land?

Alex Watts : You need to instruct a surveyor.
Alex Watts : The surveyor will calculate the breach and work out a compensatory sum.
Alex Watts : This is the figure owed.
Alex Watts : But the cost if this surveyor should also be met by the company.
Alex Watts : So approach a surveyor to get a survey done and to calculate compenstion
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

How do I stand with the council? Can I get these properties removed?

Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
Alex Watts : The council won't get involved unless they own the land.
Alex Watts : They do not Police civil disputes,
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?

ok thanks

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you