How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now

My neighbours have used My roof to put up an air condicionen

This answer was rated:

My neighbours have used My roof to put up an air condicionen which hangs over My boundery. It is 20ins of which at least 7 ins or more hangs over. I have asked t'hem to move It ( not a difficulty as there son owns his own air condision business). They say they have been to CAB who gold t'hem as its hanging over they dont have to. I'm 78yrs and dont know how to handle this. Norah
wingrovebuyer : Hello Norah. Whatever they have been told, it is wrong. If the Unit overhangs your property it is trespassing, and that is a well established legal principle. You should tell them you've taken advice, and that they must remove the Unit, or replace it with one which doesn't overhang. I'd also suggest you tell them they do not have permission to use your roof other than for removing the Unit. If they refuse, you will have to see a solicitor about starting legal proceedings to force the neighbour to remove the Unit, if that is what you still want. Best wishes, WB
Customer: Thank you so much. I just hope i Can get legal aid or i'm stymied! Several people have said It could effect the sale of My bungaloe. As My husband took out a loan on the property before he died i cant afford more difficulties. Brian had COPD which i now have. He didn't stop smoking but i have, even so i wil have to move into a smaall flat, possible pay for carrers and will certainly need to pay a cleaned. I have gold My neighbours this but they dont agree that thier actsions could make life very difficult for me. I'm 78 yrs and you have really helped. I have emailed your answer to t'hem i'm so grateful for your advice. Norah
wingrovebuyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you