How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My neighbour has requested that we reduce the height of some

This answer was rated:

My neighbour has requested that we reduce the height of some trees which are on our property and do not overhang any boundaries. They believe that these trees could damage their house should the trees fall in high winds. I have suggested that they make a contribution as otherwise, I bear full costs and enjoy no benefits. As an incentive, I have offered unlimited free access to any logs and timber from topping the trees in question.
What is the legal situation?

There is no maximum height limit which your trees have to abide by and you may let them grow as much as possible, assuming that they are not a hedge.

However, you may be liable if your trees damage their property as you have been out on notice about this and you may evaluate whether your trees may topple over in high winds or for whatever reason.

You seem to have acted quite reasonably in asking them to contribute to the costs of topping the trees and them taking the timber etc

May I help further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Am I correct assuming that I'm not legally obliged to top the tress, nor to bear the cost involved?
Yes, correct for both assumptions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello again, could you kindly explain what 'out on notice' means? We've received nothing in writing about the trees, only a single phone call from my neighbours.
Sorry, that was a typo, it should have read "put on notice" and the phone call which you acknowledge receiving is notice.
All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you