How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

With referance Law of Property Act 1925 Section 36(2), and,

This answer was rated:

With referance Law of Property Act 1925 Section 36(2), and, having been served notice by my joint tenant in equity in a property purchased by the both us, to sever this joint tenancy Can I? agree in principal to the severance but, NOT as a trust as joint tenants in common, BUT, to sell off the property in order to dissolve the joint financial arrangement in order to recover monies invested by myself when the property was first purchased
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
I’m afraid that act of severing a joint tenancy does not require the agreement or consent of the other party to the tenancy.
All that is required is that a notice of severance is served on the other party to the tenancy by the party wishing the sever the joint tenancy. Provided this is done then the joint tenancy will be severed and the property held as tenants in common.
So, if you have received the notice to sever the joint tenancy then your respective interests in the property are now held as beneficial tenants in common. It will remain as such unless you both agree to change to beneficial joint tenants, which presumably neither of you wish to do.
Should either of you wish to sell the property and the other party does not agree then you would have to apply to court for an order for sale with equity to be determined.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you