How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I want to give each one of my3 children a share in my house

This answer was rated:

I want to give each one of my3 children a share in my house now but live in it until I die what do I need to do thank you
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you doing this to avoid care fees or inheritance tax?
If so, then unless you transfer it to them for full value and pay the market rent when you live in it, then it will not mean that it escapes either the care fees or inheritance tax liability. The reason is that if you continue to live in it, it is classed as a gift with reservation and it is still accountable. For it to eventually escaped either you have to divest yourself of the asset although if you are doing it to avoid care fees, or local authority can still set that aside
If it is for a reason other than that, is there a mortgage on the property and how old are the children?
I might be able to offer more if you can clarify.
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you