How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi...I am looking for a solicitor who has specific knowledge

Customer Question

Hi...I am looking for a solicitor who has specific knowledge of dealing with local councils, and not a general answer.
I have a commercial building that i have owned for many years via a company. It is in a high street in a small village. When i bought it, it was a complete intact building. However since then, it has been continually vandalised, first interior walls, then whole roof stolen, security cameras and burglar alarms were all stolen. Finally we were forced by the council to remove the roof timbers and all interior walls down to first floor level. The council have now insisted, and served a notice to ask us to remove the bricks and all the debris the locals have dumped inside. The locals have even smashed down the back wall and then stolen the security fencing we installed.
I am concerned that if i remove all the debris, the locals will just do the same thing again and the council will serve another notice on me requiring me to spend thousands again.
This is costing me a fortune and i hope to stop the costs going forward by taking this action now. What responsibilities do the council have under the law, and what degree of protection should i be afforded?
What started as a nice building will shortly be valueless due to ongoing vandalism and council orders.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

happy to continue to wait

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you.

Is there any way you can make the site secure?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really. We have tried on many occasions, when we purchased we put in security cameras and a burglar alarm. The locals stole this. They stole the electricity meter too. Then they stole the slate roof (the roof was very large). Then they levered off the boarding when we boarded it up. We have boraded it up many times.Then they stole bricks from the back wall to make an extrance to the property. We put up regulation security fencing where the legs were set in huge concrete blocks and they stole this too. The building is in the middle of the high street, overlooked by many, but everyone turns a blind eye.

Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Can't the Police do anything?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It would appear not.


We are nowhere near the property and the council inform us everytime there is a vandalism or theft problem. I have to assume they spoke to the Police, and we have indeed asked them to contact the Police but we have never so much as even had a call from the Police.


A councilor last year when informed about a recent theft and the homeowner responsible, told us not to contact the Police and he would deal with it.


In short we are being sorely let down by the council. The area is a well known problem and whilst they have installed CCTV in other outlying towns, they have ignored this one and the fact that it is rarely visited by the Police.


I know this all sounds hard to believe, but we are living this nightmare.


is there anyone we can ask for help?

Is there compensation for public disorder?

Are the council responsible for law and order and security in a UK town?

Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
The Council have no responsibility for law and order, that is a mater for the Police and case law shows you can't show the Police as they have no legal duty to protect people.

However you should write to the Chief Executive Office of the Council and Chief Constable to make a complaint in terms of this.

The Chief Office will investigate the matter and report back to you. If you are not happy with the Council's response then you can complain to the Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service to investigate complaints. They are at:

But it seems to me you have options

1) Secure the property
2) Develop it so it is a property and can't be broken into
3) Provide site security
4) Sell it

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex


Thanks for the helpful response. We will indeed write to the Chiefs and maybe that will prompt some action.


Regarding the options you mentioned.


We cannot secure the site as the vandals have time and opportunity to do whatever. They have even stolen a brick wall and specialist security fencing.

We cannot develop it as the town is almost a no go area and the council do not even want to buy it for social housing. They have made the town beyond worthless.


Your last two options are answered by teh two comments above.


Surely a council who is paid to manage the area cannot fail to this degree despite getting funds from central government?

Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Sadly they are not paid to manage the area. The council are not responsible for your losses otherwise most people could claim for something.

But try the options I have suggested and see where you go.

Does that help?


Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: