How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Is flooding below suspended floor timbers in a domestic property

This answer was rated:

Is flooding below suspended floor timbers in a domestic property due to the water table a liability for the landlord under Section 11 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 and/or section 4 Defective Premises Act 1972 are applicable.
The flooding may cause high humidity in the property.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Yes the property is defective as per section 11 - the lanldord is required to repair.
Alex Watts : The property is also defective as per section 4
Alex Watts : It clearly is of poor design.
Alex Watts : So yes you do have a claim.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

The landlord has no control over the water table, therefore is he liable to carry out improvements to the design to prevent water ingress to below the floor voids, this is likely to be expensive, and can the tenant claim compensation from the landlord through the courts

Alex Watts : Yes he would be. It's not your fault. It's poor design.
Alex Watts : Whilst I accept that is not directly the landlords fault it is his property and should be insured.
Alex Watts : Does that help?

Do you know of any case law regarding this

Alex Watts : Sadly this is a question and answer site for general questions and not intended for legal research or case law. However if you go to - you can search here.
Alex Watts : Or
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you