How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

We are a Conservative Club that lets our flat out - a 6 month

This answer was rated:

We are a Conservative Club that lets our flat out - a 6 month shorthold tenancy agreement was made 13 months ago. We now wish to ask the tenant to vacate the premises - do we have to give a reason and what is the required amount of notice to vacate that we need to give?
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If this is a residential tenancy then you do not have to give a reason in order to serve the required notice.
Because the fixed term of the tenancy agreement has expired it has now become a statutory periodic tenancy. This means that you must give the tenancy two months notice in the correct form. They one month notice you have served is not valid, regardless of what the tenancy agreement said unfortunately.
You will have to download from an internet provider a Section 21(4)(a) Housing Act 1988 notice. The notice period is two months (if rent way paid monthly) with such notice to expire at the end of a rent period. Serve by registered post and allow three working days for postage. The template you download will probably have notes on serving it appropriately.
I would pay and download a copy template notice from one of the online document providers. It will have notes on service (which is the most common reason why possession claims fail) but this link also contains a very good explanation on serving such a notice:-
Once served and the notice period has expired you will have to apply to court for a possession order. You cannot evict her without a Court Order. The easiest way is online:-
If the tenant does not leave when the notice expires then you will have to apply to Court for a warrant for execution so that the Court bailiffs effect eviction.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you