How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I own a historical derelict building which a film company has

This answer was rated:

I own a historical derelict building which a film company has shown an interest in using / hiring for a few days. I cannot guarantee that the building is completely safe and would probably not pass safety checks - as it has never gone through building control regulations for development. I also do not have any insurance on it. Can I hire out at their company's own risk or do I risk being sued if anyone get's injured / anything get's damaged?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

You can never stop yourself being sued. Indeed even if they signed disclaimers you can't exclude personal injury through negligence

Alex Watts :

Under the Occupiers Liability Act you have to take 'reasonable steps' to make sure the property is safe

Alex Watts :

So you could let it out, but you run a risk of a claim

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you