How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi.I have a question about housing benefit and renting to

This answer was rated:

Hi. I have a question about housing benefit and renting to a relative.

I have a property which I own. My daughter lives with her boyfriend and they are having a baby.

Can I rent to them as it is him who claims the housing benefit in his name.


Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : These types of tenancies are always difficult to justify to a council.
Alex Watts : As long as you keep it at arms length IE use an agent, charge proper rent, have a rental agreement, rent book etc that should be ok
Alex Watts : What councils are wary of is sham tenancies which is fraud.
Alex Watts : Therefore the more you can do to distance yourself and make it a proper tenancy with all the usual formalities that should be ok
Alex Watts : But he should also speak to the council an discuss this with them
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Thank you. I will look into this.

Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you