How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

If I have a break clause in my tenancy agreement and have given

This answer was rated:

If I have a break clause in my tenancy agreement and have given the appropriate notice, do I still need to keep paying rent after the notice period has past till the new tenant moves in?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is this an AST?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, joint tenancy

When should the contract end?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The full term was for 12 months. That would have ended in November this year. The break clause was at 3 months

are there any restrictions upon the break clause?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, there are no restrictions.
I was asked to assist with finding a new tenant, make the room available for viewings

Thank you.
This doesn't make a lot of sense on the face of it.
Either there is a break clause entitling you to leave or there is not.
If there is, and you exercised it properly, then you are entitled to leave and be free from payment obligations when the notice comes to an end. If there is not then you are liable until the new tenant moves in. You seem to be describing requests made of you that would suggest that this falls into the latter category where a new tenant must be found to release you from your obligations. If that is not what your contract says then it should not be demanded of you.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Remus2004 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you