How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi Alex Following your advise today unfortunately the agent

This answer was rated:

Hi Alex
Following your advise today unfortunately the agent stated My daughter will get a rent refund but will not get her deposit back because she ended the tenancy early and they could have charged her for the full term of the tenancy.
I disputed that as the deposit should be returned the tenancy agreement does not state deposits are withheld if the tenant gives notice and leaves early and is unlawfull. What do you suggest the next steps should be?
Alex Watts : Thank you for requesting me
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: Hi Alex
Customer: many thanks for the advice I will get my daughter to send a letter to the landlord outlining what you have surgested. once again many thanks for your advice.
Ash and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you