How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

If I give my son a house which I have currently let to a DSS

This answer was rated:

If I give my son a house which I have currently let to a DSS tenant. Would he have to pay any stamp duty.
If the house was vacant possession would the situation be any different especially if he was to take up residence .
I realise that there would/could be the 7 year gift liability.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

If the property is received as a gift there's no SDLT to pay, so long as there's no outstanding mortgage on it. But if the person who receives the gift takes over some or all of an existing mortgage, then SDLT may be payable if the value of the mortgage is over the SDLT threshold.

Alex Watts :

As for inheritance tax then yes, the usual 7 year rule applies.

Alex Watts :

But where someone takes over and there is a mortgage then Stamp Duty may be payable on that amount

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you