How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

Permission has just been given for next door, with whom we

This answer was rated:

Permission has just been given for next door, with whom we share a driveway, to convert their house into two flats. This means that access from the garden to the front of the property is via the shared passageway, past our large kitchen windows, giving their tenants a clear view of the dining area etc. No other such conversion in the road has the use of a shared drive. Is this loss of privacy something we just have to put up with?
LondonlawyerJ :

hello I am a solicitor with over 16 ywa

LondonlawyerJ :

years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

When was permission given?

LondonlawyerJ :

NBy permission do yo mean planning permission?

Customer: Permission was granted yesterday to convert house into two flats with accommodation for at least 8 people
LondonlawyerJ :

Were you notified and did yo object to the planning application?

Customer: Yes neighbours on each side of the house objected and a petition of 49 signatures, representing half the houses in the road, was handed into the council. The petition stated that residents do not want anymore conversions in the road for social, and practical reasons
LondonlawyerJ :

Yet the permission was still granted? The only form of appeal is by way of judicial review (ie to the High Court alleging that the council acted illegally or irrationally) which would be an expensive and difficult case to bring. It may be that if enough of you are unhappy you could get together to fund an advice on a JR from a lawyer. This should be done very quickly as time is very important in JRs. Failing this I am afraid you are probably stuck with the situation.

Customer: Thank you for your advic
LondonlawyerJ and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you