How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 823
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I have a tenancy agreement with 3 people who live in a house

This answer was rated:

I have a tenancy agreement with 3 people who live in a house I rent. There was a spare room and with the agreement with the tenants I let the room to an individual. Can I ask the individual to leave as a lodger or would they be a tenant? would I have to give them a section 21?
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you tell me do you own and live in the same house? Is there a written agreement with the person in the former spare room. Does he py rent and f so how often and deos he have exclusive possession of the room, ie do you have any right to go into that room?


Hi there


I do not live in the property there is no agreement with the lodger only with the 3 people who live there.. He pays the rent monthly and has exclusive possession of the room and the share of the kitchen, bathroom etc

LondonlawyerJ :

Ok then, he is almost certainly a a tenant not a lodger. I assume there is no written agreement. He will also be an assured shorthold tenant so you will need to serve a S21 notice and give him 2 months notice.

LondonlawyerJ and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you