How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I want to take out a summons against my neighbour for wilful

Customer Question

I want to take out a summons against my neighbour for wilful damage to trees and lawn in my back garden, what is the correct procedure?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
There are two elements to this:
1) If he has deliberately damaged your trees and lawn it is criminal damage - and you are entitled to report him to the police;
2) If you want to make a county court claim - you have to work out what the cost of the damage has been and then sue him to recover this. The procedure involves using an N1 claim form and Part 7 Claim under the Civil Procedure Rules.
As a starting point have you put your neighbour on notice of the damage and asked for the damage to be repaid?
Kind regards