How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hello! I am considering purchasing a property which is currently

This answer was rated:

I am considering purchasing a property which is currently 2 attached cottages, on one title deed. I would like to split up the property so there would be two title deeds. Is this possible? And at what cost / timeframe?
In the future I may wish to revert the cottages to one title deed again – would that also be possible?
Best wishes,
Thanks for your question.
What is the motivation or reason for doing this please?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It would be so I could get an owner occupier (normal) mortgage on one cottage and a buy to let mortgage on the other.

In the future I may wish to convert the 2 cottages into 1 large family home, so hence the option to make it one title deed in the future.


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Splitting up the titles is entirely at the land registry’s discretion. They would not split the titles up now on the basis that you say that you will obtain separate mortgages in due course.
Instead, they will consider splitting up the titles once the mortgages have been granted and when your solicitor applies to register the mortgages. They will see that the mortgages have been granted on different parts of the land and your solicitor will ask them to split up the titles and they will do so.
You would have to apply for the mortgage on the basis of plans that you prepare and on which the valuations of each respective mortgage are based.
So, I would starts by drawing up plans for the proposed split and applying for the mortgage on that basis. Once you have obtained offers or offers in principle then you can instruct a solicitor to proceed,.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Tom - I am not sure the mortgage companies would consider mortgages BEFORE title deeds are actually split. What other terms would land registry consider splitting the deeds? What about if relatives lived in one cottage and I lived in the other? Thanks, Babette

Hi Babette,
I think they will if you provide plans. The splitting prior to a registrable reason (eg mortgage or transfer) is entirely at the land registry's discretion and I have generally found that they won't do it unless there is a concrete reasons disposition (ie. mortgage or transfer).
I doubt families living separately would be a sufficient reason since it does not actually affect the title for the property.
Thomas and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you